A festive twist on the traditional mince pie. These treats are packed with goodness and keep you feeling festive over the Christmas period
Ingredients - Makes 16
- 125 g butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 cup mixed macadamias, hazelnuts (with skins removed) pecans and blanched almonds -roughly chopped so nuts are at least cut in half
- 60g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Place the butter, flour and icing sugar in a food processor and run machine until the pastry clumps together in a ball around the blade.
- Divide into 16 balls and with floured hands press the pastry into the bases and up the sides of non-stick (or well greased) mini muffin tins.
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Pastry will set quite firm and you bake it cold like this.
- Divide the nuts between the chilled pastry cases.
- Mix melted butter, egg, brown sugar and vanilla until smooth and 'gluey' and spoon or pour carefully over the nuts. Do not overfill each little pie.
- Bake in preheated oven at 180°C for 20 - 25 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling puffed and crisp.
- Take out of the oven and leave in the mini muffin tins for a few minutes until they are cool enough to handle. Give each pie a little twist around to loosen the bottom and then carefully lift out to cool completely on a wire rack.
They are delicious served warm and can be reheated easily and served with whipped cream or ice cream.